Instagram Growth Rate Benchmark
Monthly historical data
Average Instagram Growth Rate last month
Each month we publish the average Instagram Growth Rate benchmark based on the hundreds of thousands of Instagram Professional Profiles (Business & Creator profiles) from all around the world indexed by Social Status. Data comes from our Profile Analytics tool which enables performance tracking of Business and Creator Instagram Profiles.
The average Growth Rate on Instagram last month was:
How has the Instagram Growth Rate changed over time?
This chart shows the historical monthly Instagram Growth Rate for the past year. As you can see, the monthly average is seldom static so its important to benchmark your performance on Instagram against the monthly average. Use Profile Analytics to benchmark your Instagram Professional Profile and track your growth monthly (please note: personal Instagram profiles can not be tracked).
How to calculate Growth Rate on Instagram
Growth Rate is a simple calculation in the increase (or decrease) between two numbers. In this instance, the number of Followers of an Instagram Profile.
Since this is a monthly benchmark (and that most marketers benchmark monthly), the Monthly Growth Rate calculation is the difference between the Instagram Followers on the first day of the month compared to the last day of the month:
Monthly Growth Rate = (Followers on last day of month – Followers on first day of month) divided by Followers on first day of month.
As an example, let’s say your Instagram Profile had 5,293 Followers on March 1 and 5,428 Followers on March 31. The Growth Rate for the month of March would be calculated as:
5,428 minus 5,293 = 135
135 divided by 5,293 = 0.02550
0.02550 multiplied by 100 = 2.55%
We multiply by 100 in order to get to a percentage. Growth Rate is usually expressed with 2 decimal places.
What affects the Instagram Growth Rate?
Growth is a tricky thing on every social media channel, especially Instragram. But thankfully, there are some tactics you can use to drive growth if you need to grow your followers:
- Run Post Engagement Ads – unlike Facebook’s “Page Like” Ad objective, Instagram does not have a similar “Follower” Ad objective. So most advertisers choose to run post engagement ads to non-followers in the hope that the content is engaging enough for people to tap through to the Profile and Follow it
- Run a Competition / Giveaway – this won’t be relevant for all organizations but a tried and true method for increasing growth quickly on Instagram is to give something away! People love a competition and you can use the Follow button as an entry mechanic for your competition. Just check your local laws as to whether you need a permit to run a game-of-chance giveaway
- Increase visibility to Non-Followers – getting posts seen by non-followers is tough but the best way is to create content geared for sharing or encourage people to tag their friends in post comments
Social Media Analytics
Voted Best By You
- Quick Setup in Seconds
- Transparent Pricing
- Easy Monthly Billing, No Contracts
- Responsive Customer Support
Let’s Spill The Tea
Social Status Insights
Get our monthly social benchmarks, updates and tips via email